A South Florida elementary school teacher had to be taken to hospital last week following an alleged attack by a five-year-old student.

NBC Miami reported that the attack occurred at Pines Lakes Elementary School. The Pembroke Pines Police Department told the outlet on Monday that the student will not face charges.

According to a police report, the incident began when the troublesome child and a four-year-old student were throwing objects and flipping chairs in a pre-K classroom.

43-year-old Trishia Meadows was the teacher who brought the 5-year-old to a “cool down” room, an empty smaller classroom, and that’s where she was reportedly pummeled by the boy’s hands, fists, and feet. Wherein it

Meadows' injuries from last week's attack were so severe that the teacher had to be intubated

Meadows’ injuries from last week’s attack were so severe that the teacher had to be intubated. (Credit: DailyMail)

The woman was found by first responders “sitting on the ground against the wall,” and police noted she “was clearly weak and dazed” and in a “faint state.”

Ana Fusco, President of Broward Teachers Union, said that the child used all his strength to take Meadows down, injuring her so severely she will likely need surgery.

‘He actually ran and attacked and jumped on her with his whole body weight. She fell and hit her head, which caused the severe injury and other bodily injuries where she is going to need surgery,’ she said.

The Pembroke Pines Police Department told the outlet on Monday that Despite the attack last week at Pines Lakes Elementary School, the young student will not face charges.

A spokesperson with the police department tells NBC News that it would be difficult to show the 5-year-old has the ability to distinguish right from wrong.

Amanda Conwell, a public information officer for the Pembroke Pines Police Department told Newsweek that the teacher “has since returned home and is not under hospital care.”

Conwell told Newsweek:

“Due to the child being below the age of reason, no arrests have been made at this time and no charges were filed with the State Attorney’s Office. The child and their family were referred to Child Protective Services for additional resources. Our investigation is still active, however, so this information may change.”

Last Wednesday Pines Lakes Elementary principal Susan Sasse sent a message to parents and staff that said the campus was secure at all times during the incident.

‘As always, the health, safety, and well-being of our students and staff continue to be my highest priority,’ the message read.

But that is not enough for some parents, who said they do not feel safe after the repeated attacks.

Sources: WND, NBC News, Newsweek

About The Author

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.