One of the graver realities of the coronavirus is that if you get hospitalized you don’t get visitors. The risk to the community is just so great.

Sure, you can call and text and all of that stuff. What happens when you can’t talk anymore, or if you have to get put on a ventilator?

It’s one of the great stresses that people have been having lately. What happens when the time comes to say goodbye and you can’t?

A north St. Louis County mother fears she may never see her son again. She said he was put on a ventilator hours after being diagnosed with COVID-19.

Anna Williams hasn’t seen or talked to her 25-year-old son, Kaleb Williams, since April 1. Kaleb was in acting school in New York, pursuing dreams of being on Broadway.

His mom called him last month.

“I said, ‘Maybe you should come home with family because we don’t have any other family in New York.’ He was like, ‘No mom, because if I get sick your health is not as good as mine. I don’t want to come there,’” she said. “I said, ‘I’m really concerned, I’d rather you be here with family than to sit there alone. Please come home and we got him a flight the same day.”

That was March 20. Nine days later, Anna said her son got a fever, lower back pain, and then began vomiting blood. She took him to the Christian Northeast Hospital emergency room.

“I stayed on Facetime with him for seven hours as a virtual visit to make sure I was by his side to comfort him,” she said.

Williams said he was tested for COVID-19, diagnosed with pneumonia, and sent home with antibiotics. She said she watched him closely because her son is asthmatic and suffers from sleep apnea. She said his fever continued rising and she called 911.

“He kept saying, ‘I’m fine. I’m fine.’ He didn’t look in distress,” Williams said. “He walked to the ambulance. He was walking; the last time I saw my son.”

That was Wednesday, April 1. She said the COVID-19 test then came back positive. She said Kaleb was put on a ventilator at Missouri Baptist Hospital and she hasn’t spoken to him since. For more than a week, she’s relied on phone call updates from nurses and the doctor.

“(The doctor) told me he was going to try all he could to bring him back but he couldn’t make any promises,” she said.

Read More

About The Author

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.